Sunday, May 12, 2013

Taskwarrior-androidapp

I mentioned in my last post that I have been using Taskwarrior. I have grown fond of this command line application. Applications like this remind me that just because it is a command line only application does not mean that it skimps on the features.
One concern I had is I wanted an application for my Android phone. After subscribing to the Google Group I realized their  is a functional Android app in development. Although still in development it looks promising, I installed it on my Android phone and have been using it the last couple weeks. One drawback is no auto sync capability yet so you have to manually copy over your completed.data and pending.data files.
If interested in trying out the Android app I will briefly outline the steps. You can get the APK here. If you subscribe to the mailing list new versions will be posted as they become available. I downloaded the APK to my computer and copied it to my phone. I copied it to the base level of my SD card so it was easy to find. I then installed the application APK manager developed by Magma Mobile Apps. Their are a couple versions of this app, by different developers, but this particular one was recommended to me and is available in the app store. After launching this app select 'Install' and the application should find the APK for you. On my phone the APK was called org.svij.taskwarriorapp.
NOTE:Be sure to enable the option to install the applications from unknown source on our Android. Open your Android system settings and click on Applications (Programs for some of the HTC devices) and check the option Unknown source. Those of you who are on Android ICS 4.0 you will find these settings under the Security settings.
After installing the app you can copy your completed.data and pending.data files from the hidden directory. ~/.task on your Ubuntu computer to the Taskwarior folder on your sdcard.
If you are interested you can get the code from the git repo here. The project is looking for some android developers so If you would like to build up some karma points please consider lending your skills to this fine project.

No comments: